Regional Map of Europe

$225

Product No. homann055

In stock

Composite Atlas

This engraving is from a composite atlas presented by the Homann Heirs. Many of the maps in the collection were completed by Peter Schenk or J. B. Homann. The maps were originally published from 1710 to the mid 1800s in Amsterdam and Nuremberg by the Homann Heirs.

Following the decline of the great Dutch publishers, the Homann family became one of the most important map publishing houses in Germany. Founded in Nuremberg by Johann Baptist Homann in 1702, the Homann empire dominated Germany’s map market for over a century. Homann published his first major atlas in 1707 and was soon after appointed Geographer to the Emperor. After Homann’s death in 1724, the firm was continued by his son until 1730. The business was then bequeathed to his heirs with the stipulation that it conducted business under the name of Homann Heirs.

The Homann family continued to produce maps until the beginning of the nineteenth century, and remained one of the most important German publishers on the Continent. They published a Neuer Atlas in 1714, a Grosser Atlas in 1737 and an Atlas Maior in 1780. In addition they issued an atlas of German town plans, numerous school atlases, and an atlas of 20 maps of Silesia. Their excellent work had a lasting impact on European maps during the eighteenth century.

Search Prints